[Live-devel] shared library

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Dec 21 18:51:01 PST 2012

> Thanks. The install target for the base Makefile is missing

Oops - my mistake.  I've just installed a new version of the code that fixes this (and also adds your proposed "distclean:" target).

> It would be a good idea to add a pkg-config file for the shared libraries.

I don't know what a "pkg-config" file is...

>>> 3) Some symbols used by the shared libraries are not found in none
>>> of
>>> the libraries (build.log attached).
>>

>> Are you sure about these?  When static libraries are built (and
>> applications linked against them), I don't see complaints about any
>> undefined symbols.  It seems unlikely, then that there would be a
>> problem with undefined symbols just when shared libraries are used.
>> (Or perhaps there's a problem with the order in which the shared
>> libraries are linked against the applications??)
>
> These warning are generated by dpkg-shlibdeps. I was able to build VLC
> against the shared library version. Therefore I am not sure if these
> dpkg-shlibdeps warning are a problem. It's better to diagnose the cause
> instead of ignoring a warning.

I'll leave it to someone who understands those warnings to do that :-)