[Live-devel] Streaming live h.264 video + PCM/ulaw from a fifo

Dirk Dugger ddugger at isdcam.com
Thu Feb 2 23:21:59 PST 2012

I have been struggling with how to stream live audio+video in an embedded device.  What I have is a process which feeds a h.264 ES into a video fifo, say /tmp/video.fifo, and a process which feeds ulaw into an audio fifo, say /tmp/audio.fifo.  If I use the H264*.cpp/hh classes and point them at video.fifo then it sends video fine.  I modified the WAV*.cpp/hh classes to read from a raw data fifo (removed the seek stuff and WAV header stuff) that works fine as well.

Then problem is combining audio+video.  I think I did the audio incorrectly.  I think it's doing a blocking read on my audio fifo and messing up the video since the whole shebang is single threaded.  I think what I need is the ByteStream class which does async, that way it tells the scheduler to wait on available read data.  Is that correct?  Does someone have pointers on how to do this?  It should be pretty simple but I don't grok the code (yet).

Thanks,
Dirk