[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version, adds 'NAT hole punching' for RTSP clients

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Feb 3 00:57:33 PST 2012

I have installed a new version (2012.02.03) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code that makes a small change to the behavior of "RTSPClient"s.  Now, after receiving the response to each RTSP "SETUP" command, the code will send a couple of short, 'dummy' UDP packets towards the server.  If the client is behind a NAT box (i.e., its IP address is private), then this improves the likelihood that RTP/UDP packets from the server will successfully reach the client.  I.e., this change increases the likelihood that regular RTP/UDP streaming will work, so that the client does not have to resort to requesting RTP-over-TCP streaming instead.

It's important to note that this will work only if it's the RTSP *client* that's behind a NAT.  As always, the RTSP *server* must be on the public Internet (i.e., has a public IP address).  (We currently have no way of supporting a RTSP server that's behind a NAT.)