[Live-devel] Need help: RTSP Stream -> video render

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Mon Feb 27 15:25:53 PST 2012

Barry,

Thank you very much for your reply. What you have spoken to here is exactly the model that I have followed, but the crux of the issue I am trying to solve involves exactly what you are touching on. In short what I have is:

H.264 video -> RTSP -> RTSPClient -> MediaSink subclass

exactly as you have described. My present challenge is properly grabbing the received data in the afterGettingFrame() function, and feeding to the ffmpeg avcodec. Specifically, I am trying to make sure that the data received from Live555 and handed to ffmpeg is the proper format and quantity. In other words, the ffmpeg avcodec is seeking a packet (or more properly put, an "AVPacket" according to their parlance. I know this isn't an ffmpeg discussion list, so my purpose isn't to discuss ffmpeg, but I do need to gather and construct (if necessary) the received data to construct this packet.

My questions are:

1. Is such a packet the payload within the afterGettingFrame() function, and if so, how do I grab it?

2. If the answer to 1 is no, then I need some any pointers on how to construct it.

I do indeed currently have adapted code similar to the testRTSPClient example and can receive RTSP data successfully. However, what I'm seeing is that when the afterGettingFrame() function is getting called, I am seeing a cycle of data received....2 calls with a 9 and 5 bytes respectively, followed by the receipt of about 23K+/- of data. (see the attached log). I am suspecting that these aren't all full packets.

Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated, thx!

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Founder / Lead Developer
Big Hill Software LLC