[Live-devel] fast forward / backward switch not smooth

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 27 18:31:31 PST 2012

> I'm doing some test with "live555MediaServer" as RTSP server, everything works pretty well except the switch in / out / between fast forward / backward mode and regular mode, version / code: 2012.01.13
> Client: VLC, latest got from videolan website "VLC media player 1.1.11 The Luggage"
>
> Phenomenon:
> 1, when set to fast forfard 16 or 32 times speed, most of the time works smoothly and get video quickly
> 2, when set to fast backfard 16 or 32 times speed, sometimes need wait several seconds for the video to display
> 3, when set to fast forfard or backward at anyother speed, such as forward at 2 or 4 times speed, most of the time need wait a long time to get video displaying, or even don't move at all;

VLC is not our software (although it does use our library for its RTSP client implementation), and this is not a VLC mailing list.  Unfortunately, it's not clear if the problems that you're seeing are due to issues with our software, or issues with VLC.  If the problems are with VLC, then you'll need to report them on a VLC mailing list instead.

One way to check where your 'trick play' problems lie is to use our "openRTSP" command-line client instead of VLC.  Note the 'trick play' options: http://www.live555.com/openRTSP/#trick-play