[Live-devel] "no frame!"

Menne, Neil nmenne at dcscorp.com
Wed Jan 11 14:53:40 PST 2012

I'm working on my Live555/FFmpeg video player, and I ran into an interesting problem that has kept me stumped for several days. I am taking the buffer that is delivered to my MediaSink (like the example in testRTSPClient), and I am passing the buffer and the size to FFmpeg to decode. It says that there is "no frame!" I'm stumped as to why that is the case when I'm taking the buffer after the "afterGettingFrame" function is called. I was wondering if there was something else that must be done to that buffer for it to be a true frame that can be decoded.

My first guess is that the decoder needs more information which brings me to my next question: the SDP description that I'm pulling down doesn't contain the width/height, so I'm guessing I need to pull that out of the sprop_parameter_sets; is this the case?

My second guess is that there is no frame separator; I noticed that in one particular file: H264VideoFileSink they prepend a 0x00000001 along with the sprop_parameters. Is this a potential problem?

Video is not my expertise, so I'm spending most days reading anything/everything on these problems, but this one's got me stuck.

-Neil

P.S. My video is an H.264 video stream