[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version, supports RTSP server streaming from a UDP Transport Stream input source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jan 24 19:49:33 PST 2012

Recently there has been a lot of interest - by several people - in being able to develop a RTSP server that takes, as input, a UDP Transport Stream (that arrives via IP multicast, or via unicast).  Achraf Gazdar demonstrated how the LIVE555 libraries can easily be used to do this.

I wasn't originally planning on updating the released LIVE555 code to help make this even easier, but because there's been so much interest in this, I've changed my mind.

I've now released a new version (2012.01.25) of the LIVE555 code, that adds a new class "MPEG2TransportUDPServerMediaSubsession" (a subclass of "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession") that can be used to build a RTSP server that can takes a UDP (raw UDP or RTP/UDP) Transport Stream as input (via IP multicast, or unicast).  (Thanks again to Achraf Gazdar for this suggestion.)

I also updated the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application to show how a RTSP server can take input from the (IP multicast) Transport Stream that's sent by the "testMPEG2TransportStreamer" demo application.