[Live-devel] Multiple mplayers always decoding last stream when using sdp file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 27 08:21:59 PST 2012

You could try using VLC instead of MPlayer, but I suspect you'd get similar results.

Your problem is caused by the fact that your SDP files specify different IP multicast addresses, but the same port number (in this case 5004).  I.e., you are trying to receive two separate multicast streams that use the same port number.  Some operating systems - most notably LInux - do not handle this well; incoming multicast packets might end up getting delivered to the same receiver, regardless of what multicast group(s) they've joined.  I consider this a bug in the Linux kernel, but some Linux experts apparently disagree.

Your best solution is simply to change one of your streams' port numbers, so that both the multicast addresses *and* the port numbers are different.  If you can't do that, then the only solution I know is to use a different operating system - e.g., FreeBSD - which doesn't have this problem.