[Live-devel] RTSP - Absolute Time

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 3 15:04:21 PDT 2012

> I'm curious if there is a reason that absolute time has been left out, i.e. are there problems implementing it, or is it just that people for some reason haven't been showing any interest in it?

Until recently, there just hasn't been any interest in supporting seeking by 'absolute time'; instead, almost every application that wants to seek within a stream wants to seek using a relative time (from the start of the stream, or from its current position).

However, you're the second person recently who has expressed interest in supporting this, so it's probably something that I'll add to the 'to do' list.  (Supporting this might be nontrivial, though, because right now the code assumes - in lots of places - that only streams with a known duration can be 'seekable'.)