[Live-devel] Stream control issues

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jul 8 12:28:15 PDT 2012

> The binary worked great under Windows-- I was able to load test an MPEG1 (non-ES) video and click to the middle of the video without a problem. I built the source-code under Linux on both a remote server and Ubuntu under a local VM, and the same video will load, but will:
>
> 1) NOT report it's duration properly.
> 2) NOT allow the user to jump ahead.
>
> I am using VLC as the client. Does anyone have any advice?

I downloaded the file that you reported
	http://host1.aws.randomingenuity.com/mailinglist/live/test-mpeg.mpg
and tried running it with the "LIVE555 Media Server" on FreeBSD (I haven't had a chance to try Linux yet).  It correctly reported the duration (21.368 seconds), and I was able to seek backwards and forwards through the stream using VLC.

Nonetheless, 'trick play' operations on MPEG Program Stream files (like this) don't work as well as they do on (indexed) Transport Stream files - so if you have a choice of file types, then Transport Stream files are better.