[Live-devel] Limit fps in trick play mode

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 16 16:56:19 PDT 2012

> In case of trick play (fast forward and rewind)

I presume you're talking about streaming indexed MPEG Transport Stream files here...

> LIVE555 Media Server sends more frames per second than in normal play mode.

No it doesn't.  It *never* sends more frames per second than normal play mode (and, in fact, for small scale values (less than the number of frames per I-frame), it will send fewer frames per second than in normal play mode).

However, because the frames that it sends (in fast-forward or reverse play) are I-frames only, the average frame *size* (in bytes) will be larger than in normal play mode, thereby leading to a larger bit rate.  There is no way to overcome this - sorry.