[Live-devel] How can i use Live555 to stream Client -> Server ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jul 16 23:56:33 PDT 2012

"How can i use Live555 to stream Client -> Server ?"

In short, you don't.  Data sources - in particular network cameras - should be RTSP servers, which deliver data in response to requests by clients.

If you want your camera (server) to deliver data to another server, then the way to do this is to make the second server a 'proxy' for the camera server.  I.e., the proxy server appears as a server to external clients, but acts as a client for the camera server.  Note, for example the "LIVE555 Proxy Server": http://www.live555.com/proxyServer/

> I've seen that other clients using [Announce+DSP], [Setup] and [Record] to do that.

This is a non-standard (ab)use of the RTSP protocol, that's implemented by Apple's 'Darwin Streaming Servers', but not by our RTSP server implementation.