[Live-devel] Design choice

Erlandsson, Claes P (CERLANDS) CERLANDS at arinc.com
Fri Jul 27 13:08:51 PDT 2012

When implementing liveMedia using multiple streams in one process I see two
choices:

 1. Each stream is kept totally separate. I.e. each stream have their own
TaskScheduler, UsageEnvironment, eventLoopWatchVariable and each
doEventLoop() is running in a separate thread.

 2. The rtspClient's share the same TaskScheduler, UsageEnvironment,
eventLoopWatchVariable and there is one doEventLoop() running (as in the
testRTSPClient project).

I've current implemented design 1, while I see option 2 being the intended
choice. The reason for picking 1 is the added "security" of keeping each
stream entirely independent, i.e. if an exception occurs for any reason only
one stream should be affected.

As I'm fairly new to the liveMedia library I however wanted to see if anyone
has an opinion on this. The overhead doesn't appear to be an issue even with
10+ streams. Could there be any possible drawbacks with option 1 that I have
overseen?

/Claes