[Live-devel] Using LIVE555 to publish to Wowza streaming server

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Sat Jun 2 20:56:25 PDT 2012

Hello,

My use case: I need to capture video from a Mac's builtin video camera and publish that video to Wowza streaming server (clients talk to Wowza). I would like to use LIVE555 to transport the captured video from the camera to the Wowza server. A few notes on this:

- I am aware that LIVE555 can stream the video directly, without using Wowza. For reasons that are non-negotiable (I cannot do anything about them), this video has to be published to Wowza for streaming.

- Wowza supports the encoders based on the following: RTSP/RTP, RTMP, MPEG-TS.

I have searched both the live-devel list archives, the LIVE555 FAQ, and various places on the Internet for information on how this can be done, and here's what I can make of it:

- It can be done (somehow).

- There are various references including the FAQ suggesting to look at the testOnDemandRTSPServer and adapt it. I have read this source code and I do not readily see the ability to define a remote endpoint (the Wowza server) to which the LIVE555 RTSP server will push data to. I also do not readily see a way to define a built-in camera as an input source to the RTSP server.

- I have found other references which point to using the test*Streamer examples as models for accomplishing my use case. However, opening these (testH264Streamer, for instance) has comments in the code such as:

// Note: This is a multicast address.  If you wish instead to stream
  // using unicast, then you should use the "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
  // test program - not this test program - as a model.

So I'm kind of spinning in a circle here. Can someone assist me in how to:

1) Define streaming camera input as an input source to the LIVE555 library I'm supposed to use, and

2.) Take this live video stream and publish (push) it to the Wowza server.

Thanks in advance! Your help is appreciated.

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Founder / Lead Developer
Big Hill Software LLC