[Live-devel] Problem with a=x-dimensions LIVE555 Proxy Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 4 08:54:14 PDT 2012

> After the RTSP connection IP-based cameras to send a reply with the
> line "a=x-dimensions:640,480", but when you connect to LIVE555 Proxy
> Server, this line is missing. For some decoders need to know the width
> and height, and this is a problem.

A camera should not depend upon its server including an "a=x-dimensions..." SDP line, because this attribute is optional (and not even a standard). All decoders should be able to infer the video width and height from the encoded input stream, or from other "a=fmtp:..." configuration parameters (which *are* standards).

However, in the spirit of "be liberal in what you accept", I agree that the "LIVE555 Proxy Server" should pass on this attribute if it sees it.  So, a fix for this will be included in a future release of the software.  (Be warned, however, that requests like this by hobbyists are considered low priority.)