[Live-devel] liveMedia/FreeBSD : compilation fails on ar command

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 8 23:47:41 PDT 2012

Finally getting back to this thread...

Thanks to the people who correctly identified the issue as being caused by inconsistent behavior between GNU make ("gmake") and BSD make.

Unfortunately there are many environments for which linking won't work if the space character is present; that's why I can't just put it in the "Makefile.tail" files, as someone suggested.  Instead, I want to keep the space character in the "config.<system>" file (at the end of the "LIBRARY_LINK =" line), for those <system>s that need it.

So the question is now: How can I correctly define "LIBRARY_LINK" in the appropriate "config.<system>" files so that the space character will be seen by BSD make, as well as GNU make ("gmake")?