[Live-devel] Get connections on ProxyServerMediaSession

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 11 21:29:16 PDT 2012

Jesus,

The "ProxyServerMediaSession" class was intended to be a self-contained, fully-featured class that could be used 'as is' to build RTSP proxy servers.  For now at least, it is not intended to be customizable.  (This may change in the future, depending on how the code ends up being used, but right now the intention is that the code be used 'as is'.)

In particular, the proxy is implemented using a (single) "RTSPClient" object for each 'back end' stream (e.g., a network camera), and therefore keeps open a (single) RTSP connection to the 'back-end' server.

However, as you noted, we don't want the 'back-end' server to be streaming data when it's not needed.  Our implementation accomplishes this not by closing the connection when the last client leaves, but instead by automatically sending a RTSP "PAUSE" command to stop the stream.  (Later, if a new client arrives, the proxy will automatically resume the streaming by sending another RTSP "PLAY" command.)