[Live-devel] RTSP Proxy Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 19 07:55:52 PDT 2012

> Is the following RTSP proxy server mode of operation possible ?
> ProxyServer only acts as proxy only for RTSP commands, but the RTP/RTCP data flows to the client directly from the main RTSP Server

No, and for most back-end servers, that would not even be possible.  For security reasons (to prevent 'denial of service' attacks), few servers allow a RTSP client (proxy or otherwise) to specify that the stream should have a different destination.

Also, I'm curious as to why you think you would even want this behavior.  A proxy RTSP server is usually used so that a single stream from a 'back-end' server (e.g., a network camera) can be shared among potentially multiple 'front-end' clients.  Why would you want to proxy the RTSP commands, but not the RTP/RTCP data flow?