[Live-devel] Change sockets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 6 13:31:09 PST 2012

> What would it take, if possible, to swap out the current sockets used in live555.  Say I wanted to use something like amqp or zeromq.  If possible what kind of effort are we talking about?

It would be an enormous undertaking, unfortunately.

At some point, I plan to change the way that 'network interfaces' are treated by the code - making them 'source' and 'sink' objects, like the rest of the "liveMedia" code.  This should make it easy for developers to plug in their own implementation of network interfaces (including 'simulated' network interfaces).  (It's also how we'll get IPv6 support.)  However, too, this will be a major undertaking, requiring a major upheaval in the code (including possibly changing the way that buffering is done), and there is no ETA for this.

Sorry.