[Live-devel] Boolean.hh type redefinition conflict when compiling in Xcode

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Wed Mar 7 22:01:17 PST 2012

All,

I have run into a conflict trying to link in Live555 into a project within Xcode. Typically, the approach for referencing C++ code within an Objective C source file is to name the implementation with a .mm extension. However, when I try to include various Live555 headers in a .mm file, I received the following compilation error in Xcode:

Boolean.hh: Typedef redefinition with different types ('unsigned int' vs 'unsigned char')

This is presumably due to type definition conflicts between Objective C boolean-related declarations and those declared in Boolean.hh. I am reluctant to change anything anything as fundamental as a base type definition without knowing in more detail the possible ramifications. I have been able to get around it by using a file extension of .cpp, but I am suspecting that is causing other problems elsewhere. I'd like to resolve this conflict so that I can reference Live555 headers within .mm files. If anyone can advise on how to effectively resolve the type declaration problem without detrimental effects, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Founder / Lead Developer