[Live-devel] RTSPClient w/significant frame loss

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Mar 21 23:09:43 PDT 2012

> 1. I followed the FAQ's recommendations, which increased the receiveBuffer to (VLC's recommended) 2000000. (Note, I also tried 400000, same results as 2000000, also note there are no truncated bytes).

Note also that the "increaseReceiveBufferTo()" function returns the actual resulting OS socket buffer size.  (It does this by doing a getsockopt(..., SOL_SOCKET) on the socket.)  So, if you haven't already done so, you should check the return value from these calls, just to make sure that the OS is actually setting the socket buffer size that you're requesting.  In some OS's - e.g., Linux - you have to configure the maximum possible buffer size, before you call "increaseReceiveBufferTo()".  (This is described in the FAQ entry.)

Apart from the OS's socket buffering, the only other possible cause for 'dropped packets' is actual packet loss occurring on the network.