[Live-devel] Easiest way to implement custom RTSP messages?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 27 06:13:02 PDT 2012

> Anyways, the question is - What is the best way to implement custom RTSP messages?
> I want to add a new RTSP message type, and use it to transfer a list of files I can play from server.

RTSP is not the protocol to use for this (because there's nothing defined in the RTSP protocol standard for doing this, an any 'custom' RTSP command that you'd implement would be incompatible with all of the other clients and servers out there).

What you want, instead, is a regular web page that provides a list of "rtsp://" URLs - e.g, in an XML document.

For this, you'd use HTTP - i.e., using a regular web server - not RTSP.