[Live-devel] AudioInputDevice and different audio host APIs

Marlon Reid Marlon at scansoft.co.za
Fri May 11 06:56:45 PDT 2012

Hi Ross,

I am using the AudioInputDevice class to stream data from a microphone.
I am using the getPortNames function to return the names of the
microphones connected to the Windows machine so that the user can select
the desired microphone.  I have however noticed that the getPortNames
function only returns the devices that belong to the system default
audio host API, which in my case is MME.

My questions are

Can the getPortNames function return all the audio input irrespective of
which audio host API they belong to?

and if so,

Can the AudioInputDevice ::createNew function make use of an input that
is not part of the system default audio host API?

Thank you for all your assistance.

Marlon Reid

Web: www.scansoft.co.za <http://www.scansoft.co.za/>
Tel:  +27 21 913 8664