[Live-devel] streaming each file from start

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri May 25 11:21:24 PDT 2012

> We noticed that whenever a new client is connected to the live555 streamer, it doesn't start streaming the file from beginning.
> Could you please help us configure live555 streamer so that, whenever a new client is connected, it should stream the file (which is being requested) from the start.

This depends on the value of the "reuseFirstSource" parameter in the "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" constructor.  If you have written your own subclass of "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession", then you should make sure that its constructor - when it calls the (parent) "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" constructor, sets the "reuseFirstSource" parameter appropriately.  Or, if you are using one of the many "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" subclasses that we have written for you - each of which also has a "reuseFirstSource" parameter - then you should make sure that the subclass's constructor sets the "reuseFirstSource" parameter appropriately.

If "reuseFirstSource" is set to "False", then if multiple clients request the same file, then each client will receive the stream starting from the beginning of the file.  (This is the behavior that is programmed for the "LIVE555 Media Server" and the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application).

If "reuseFirstSource" is set to "True", then if multiple clients request the same file, then the file is read only once; the first client will receive the stream starting from the beginning of the file, but the second (and any subsequent) clients will receive the stream starting at a later point.