[Live-devel] RTSP Client TCP mode

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Thu May 31 13:51:18 PDT 2012

On 30.05.2012 11:36, Nikolai Vorontsov wrote:
> does it mean that we don't have any means to handle tool-low-bandwidth
> network case? I can imagine for instance for the live view the following
> scenario - we monitor the output queue length and when it's overflown or
> close to the top - start to skip all incoming frames till the next key
> frame (or till the queue is lowering)? That makes video not ideal, but
> at least customer see something (with gaps).

Sounds like you want something like RTP over SCTP with proper splitting
of the data into more (intra frames and audio) or less (inter frames)
important bits.

I'm not sure if there is any production deployment of that already.

Or you could use http-live-streaming with multiple bandwidths and let
the client switch between them.

> For the playback usually it's possible to ask the source part to hold on
> frame delivery and I guess, again I can monitor output queue length and
> tame my backend server stream.
> Does it make sense in live555?

Regards,
Karl