[Live-devel] modify live555ProxyServer to support multicast

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 8 07:10:46 PDT 2012

> this ip is not Multicast
> 129.X.X.X is Unicast

That's true, but irrelevant to "kingaceck"s question.  He was asking how to write a RTSP proxy that relays from a (unicast or multicast) 'back-end' RTSP stream to a multicast 'front-end' RTSP stream.  This front-end RTSP stream would be accessed via unicast (because RTSP is a TCP-based protocol), but the stream itself would be multicast.  (Note, for example, that our "test*Streamer" demo applications also send multicast streams that can be (and in some cases, must be) accessed via RTSP.)

In contrast, our "LIVE555 Proxy Server" relays from a (unicast or multicast) 'back-end' RTSP stream to a (actually, one or more) *unicast* 'front-end' streams.

The "Subject:" line of this thread is wrong, because neither the "LIVE555 Proxy Server" (nor the "ProxyServerMediaSession" class in particular) can be 'modified' to get what "kingaceck" wants.  They're just too different.  Instead, he would need to write his own "PassiveServerMediaSubsession" subclass, combined with a "ServerMediaSession" (subclass), and a "RTSPServer" (as illustrated by the "test*Streamer" demo applications).  These would implement the multicast 'front-end' stream.  He would then need to use a "RTSPClient" (perhaps a "RTSPClient" subclass) to implement the reception of the 'back-end' stream.

However, this is sufficiently complicated that I'm certainly not going to "show (him) the details step by step" as he requested (especially since he uses an unprofessional email address).  He's going to have to work out the (many) details himself.