[Live-devel] Re (your issues with RTP-over-TCP streaming)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Oct 15 19:43:58 PDT 2012

>> OK, your log suggests that 'incomplete' data is being received over TCP (by the client), which implies (assuming that your client+server OS's TCP/IP implementation is correct) that some of the server's writes to the TCP socket are failing.
>

> The fact that this is happening would seem to indicate it. The thing is though, that
> a) we have increased the server's TCP send buffers to compensate for a start-up delay and
> b) we do live rate adaptation according to the bandwidth of the users.
> c) In the case where we can not adapt the bandwidth to the client's needs, we kick the client from the server.

Nonetheless, the only explanation that I currently have for what you are seeing (i.e., binary data being received by the client over the TCP connection, without proper 'dollar sign' framing for RTP or RTCP packets) is that some of the server's writes to the TCP socket are failing.  So why did you not do what I suggested to test for this?  To repeat:

> You can check this by updating your *server* code as follows:
> - add
> #define DEBUG_SEND 1
> 	to "liveMedia/RTPInterface.cpp"
> - recompile, then rerun your server.
>
> If you ever see the error message
> 	sendRTPOverTCP: failed!
> then this shows that the server's writes to the TCP socket are eventually overflowing the OS's internal buffer (which should be at least 50 kBytes), which in turn implies that your stream's bitrate is greater than the data capacity of the TCP connection.  In this case there is nothing that you can do other than decrease the bitrate of your stream.

So please do this and let us know if you see any of these error messages.  (If you don't, then I'm at a loss to explain what could be going wrong, unfortunately.)