[Live-devel] Re (your issues with RTP-over-TCP streaming)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 16 14:46:26 PDT 2012

> Could it be that once the client starts processing the RTP data i.e. before the 200 OK of the PLAY arrives, that the handler is then set to the $ (RTP/RTCP handler) and that
> if an RTSP message comes in, even though it gets processed, it's callback/completion handler is not invoked since the socket handling code is now in a "processing $" state?

No, the RTP/RTSP-over-TCP receiving code (in "liveMedia/RTPInterface.cpp") is set up to properly handle either a RTP or RTCP packet (which is framed beginning with a '$' etc.), or a RTSP request or response.  If the RTSP request or response handling code is ever called with binary data (i.e., from a RTP or RTCP packet) by mistake, then it must be because it appeared in the stream without proper '$' framing.  But (with our server) the only way that that can happen is if some of the server's "send()"s have failed.

With the latest software release, however, a server streaming over an overloaded TCP connection should no longer ever send only a partially-formed '$'-framed RTP or RTCP packet.  So if you still see problems even with the latest version of the software (for both the server and client), then you're going to have to track this down yourself.  (Please don't bother sending 'wireshark' logs; I never look at those.)