[Live-devel] How to set fPresentationTime in my framedsource

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 19 18:15:35 PDT 2012

Because you are streaming from a live source, your first method of setting "fPresentationTime" - i.e., just by calling "gettimeofday()" - is best.  However, I doubt that this is the cause of the problems that you are seeing when you are trying to view your stream using VLC.

You haven't said anything else about the rest of your application, but you should make sure that your "H264VideoUDPSource" feeds its H.264 NAL units - *without* any preceding 4-byte 'start codes' - to a "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" (*not* a "H264VideoStreamFramer"), and from this into a "H264VideoRTPSink".

Also, if you are having problems viewing your stream using VLC, I suggest that you first try using "openRTSP" to receive your stream, and record it into a file.  Rename the resulting file to have a ".h264" filename suffix, and see if you can play this file using VLC.