[Live-devel] simulate RTP packet loss

Andy Stevens stevens at electricalscience.com
Wed Sep 5 12:24:31 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to simulate packet loss of RTP packets on the network, and
I would like to use Live555 to do this.  In fact, there already is some
code in MultiFramedRTPSink (in the
MultiFramedRTPSink::sendPacketIfNecessary() function) which is contained
in a "TEST_LOSS" macro, and is hardcoded to simulate 10% loss:

#ifdef TEST_LOSS
     if ((our_random()%10) != 0) // simulate 10% packet loss #####
#endif

I would like to do some more sophisticated testing (e.g. change the
packet loss to 5% or 25%).  What is the "right" way to do this?  Ideally
I would subclass MultiFramedRTPSink and then override the
sendPacketIfNecessary() function.  But sendPacketIfNecessary() is
declared as "private" and so I cannot override.

How best to simulate the packet loss without modifying the Live555 code
directly?

Regards,

--Andy Stevens
New York, USA