[Live-devel] Faking SDP Support using live555MediaServer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 10 13:55:08 PDT 2012

> Using the live555MediaServer, return a specified video when client requests an url ending with .sdp.
>
> I think what I need to do is first, generate an sdp file from the video

No.  Server developers never work directly with SDP; instead, our server software automatically generates SDP descriptions (in response to RTSP "DESCRIBE" commands).  Instead, all you need is the video source.

> (which is in h264)

If you have a H.264 Elementary Stream video file, then the easiest way to stream this is to rename it to have a ".264" filename suffix, and use the "LIVE555 Media Server" to stream it.

If, however, you have a H.264 Elementary Stream video file that you *don't* want to rename it to have a ".264" filename suffix, then you can still stream it, but not using the "LIVE555 Media Server".  Instead, you can build your own server - perhaps using the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application as a model.  (See "testProgs/testOnDemandRTSPServer.cpp", lines 89-101.)

If, however, your H.264 video comes from a live source (e.g., from an encoder), rather than from a file, then you can still use "testOnDemandRTSPServer" as a model, but you have some additional programming to do.  See the FAQ.