[Live-devel] A Problem of streaming MP4 file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 10 19:45:03 PDT 2012

>  I have extended the live555 to support mp4 file.But when playing ,the vlc has no process bar and the total time's indicator(it's 00:00 at the lower right corner of vlc).  I can't jump to another point to play in the vlc process bar area.what's the reason of this?
If you want to support 'seeking' within your file, you need to reimplement the following two virtual functions of your new "ServerMediaSubsession" subclass(es):
	virtual float duration() const;
		You'll need to redefine this to return the track's duration in seconds (i.e., some value > 0.0)
	virtual void seekStream(unsigned clientSessionId, void* streamToken, double& seekNPT, double streamDuration, u_int64_t& numBytes);
		This is the function that will do the seeking.

> (2)
> when playing,at the first 10 seconds  there are many mosaic on the picture. what can I do to fix this problem?

This is likely due to unusually large video frame sizes - i.e., too large for VLC's buffer.  VLC automatically compensates for this when it sees it, by increasing its buffer size, but it can't do anything about the first too-large video frame (that got truncated).