[Live-devel] H.264 in MPEG-2 TS streams roughly at the start

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Sep 11 10:11:24 PDT 2012

On 9/10/2012 5:51 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> If you take
> a guess at the GOP length, you can infer frame rate.

I meant bit rate, obviously.

We've tried to get a CBR stream out of ffmpeg, just to prove to
ourselves that stream variability is the problem.  We haven't succeeded.
  Apparently ffmpeg is incapable of CBR with H.264, even when you set
min = avg = max.

That said, those settings did greatly reduce the variability.  Here's
the new stream:

     http://etr-usa.com/live555/h264-test-cbr.ts

It shows the same stuttery playback with the stock build of the RTSP
server.  The bit rate range is now 5-10 Mbit/s over the majority of the
play time, averaging 7.5 Mbit/s.  (It was 2-16 Mbit/s!)

We'll try to get a less variable file out of other encoders next.