[Live-devel] using live555 for a p2p VOIP on mobile phone

Morgan Segalis morgan at hsware.net
Wed Sep 19 04:34:23 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I would like to have some advice from live555's expert before starting the project and realize that I'll be blocked for something I haven't though of...

Here's the whole dilemna :

I have already done the whole p2p (hole-punching) connection between users through UDP based on a in-house (beta - might become opensource) protocol.
>From that I would like to use iLBC codec to start a call between users. (iLBC seems to be the most supported format)

>From what I see live555 is a great (best) library, and I'll really would like to use it, it would ease so much of my work.

So here's my questions that I haven't managed to get an answer on this list :

- Can we initiate a rtp/rtcp protocol with an already opened udp socket ?
- In order to make a voip app, is it necessary to have a rtp server and rtp client on both devices  (client 1 connecting to server 2 / client 2 connecting to server 1)?
- Using live555, seems to me like using a bazooka to kill a fly. Live555 is so much complete that it seems huge comparing to what I need to do, isn't it ?
- Any advice I might have forgotten to take in account about p2p VOIP feature ?

Thank you for your help,

Morgan
morgan at hsware.net