[Live-devel] RTSPClientSessions lifetime

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Sep 27 07:32:15 PDT 2012

> On Server side, RTSPClientSessions are created on SETUP when request does not specify a Session ID.
> It seems that there is no direct relation between a Connection and a Session. Is it because many Connections can share the same Session ?

Yes.

> In this case I wonder when Sessions are closed and destroyed : is it when all Connections sharing a Session are closed ?

No, because another connection - for the same session - could be created next.

> Or is there a timeout somewhere ?

Yes.  Note the following comment (in "liveMedia/include/RTSPServer.hh", lines 69-72:

      // If "reclamationTestSeconds" > 0, then the "RTSPClientSession" state for
      //     each client will get reclaimed (and the corresponding RTP stream(s)
      //     torn down) if no RTSP commands - or RTCP "RR" packets - from the
      //     client are received in at least "reclamationTestSeconds" seconds.

Note that standards-compliant RTSP/RTP clients are required to implement RTCP - thereby sending frequent RTCP "RR" packets to indicate client liveness.  (If the clients are implemented using our software, then they will get this automatically.)