[Live-devel] Need your professional opinion on upgrading our product to use your streaming technology

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Tue Apr 9 04:02:22 PDT 2013

 We have a product that uses live555 along with libavcodec to play streams from IP cameras to mobile devices,browsers and an archiver/restreamer.

Using live555 in some environments means you are not using the built in libraries and therfore not hooked into their hardware decoder. But a single IP camera at D1 resolution is ok up to 15fps on older android  and 30fps on iphone and newer droids. Note this limitation is NOT live555, it is access to the decoder. Colorspace conversion and scaling take as much CPU as H264 decoding so I shift that to the opengl hardware with shaders.

I also have built the proxy server and an app based on that to restream 4 cameras (d1 at 30fps) on a Raspberry PI. I let it run 72 hours and it only used 9% CPU. The raspberry PI is a credit card sized SBC that is like an older phone in power (700mhz arm)

Our app is not peer to peer but I have thought about doing it. The trick is the firewall issues. I push out past a firewall with the raspberry pi and any client including mobile can connect then to that restream server. The external server archives and allows multiple client connections, but adds latency.

I need to buy a windows phone and port our phone app to it next!