[Live-devel] RTSPClient WRT connection to rtsp server (camera)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Apr 29 12:29:26 PDT 2013

> I am working on a windows service (a “Manager”) that starts, monitors, and stops multiple Proxy servers.  These proxy servers are based on your Live555 Proxy Server code. Each proxy is serving a single stream from a single back end camera.

Note that you don't have to do that.  It's possible for a single proxy server to serve multiple 'back end' streams.  (E.g., our "LIVE555 Proxy Server" application can do this.)

> During the lifetime of the proxy, I expect that the back end connection could terminate for some reason, or not connect at all in the first place.  I have been looking for a hook to report this state back to the manager, but have not been successful.  Does the RTSPClient provide any type of event, or other signal that could be used by other processes/services for the purpose of monitoring the state of the back end connection?

Note that our proxy server code already monitors and keeps alive the connection to each of its 'back end' server.  This is not something that you need to handle separately.

> In our system, we also have an archiving service.  This service connects to the stream provided by the proxy and archives the data to a file.  One archiver exists for each proxy.  The Archiver uses the OpenRTSP client to achieve this.  I have noticed that if the OpenRTSP client terminates unexpectedly, the CPU usage of the proxy skyrockets from about .07 average up to around 22.5 average.  We run about 25 of the proxies, so you can imagine the hit if 4 of these clients die.  In the case where the archiving service as a whole dies, all of the clients can terminate, which leaves us with 25 proxies running at around a 22% CPU usage with makes the system unusable.
>
> I had considered monitoring the CPU load on all of the proxies through the manager, and terminating/restarting any that run high on CPU usage.  But I was wondering if you could shed some light on what is going on in the proxy to produce this effect.

Sorry - no idea.  That's something that you're going to have to track down yourself.