[Live-devel] Multicast addresses for MPEG4 and H.264 streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Aug 2 06:40:49 PDT 2013

> Can live555 stream H.264 or MPEG4 video to rtp://<multicast addr>:1234
> without using RTSP to set-up the stream (e.g. the client might be on a
> different subnet to the live555 server) ?

There are (from what I can tell) two different questions here:

1/ Can LIVE555 stream H.264 or MPEG4 video to rtp://<multicast addr>:1234
without using RTSP to set-up the stream

Yes, (although note that the "rtp://" URL is nonstandard, and is used only by (some) receivers - e.g., VLC - and has nothing to do with our code).  Note, though, that H.264 and MPEG-4 video streams contain special configuration parameters that often cause a stream to not be understandable by receivers, unless they get these parameters 'out of band' - e.g., via a SDP description.  That's why we recommend that H.264 or MPEG-4 video streams be served via RTSP.

2/ Can multicast streams be received by receivers that are on a different subnet from the sender.

This depends entirely on whether your network has set up IP multicast routing between the sender's network and the receiver(s) network(s).  It has absolutely nothing to do with application-level code like LIVE555.