[Live-devel] Multicast addresses for MPEG4 and H.264 streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Aug 5 18:14:36 PDT 2013

> I was thinking that RTSP would not work if the live 555 server and the
> client (viewer) are on different subnets as the client wouldn't be able
> to reach the server. [...] have
> I understood this correctly ?

No, you haven't understood this correctly - because RTSP (the control protocol) runs over TCP, and so will work over any number of 'subnets'.  However, if the RTSP session is describing a multicast stream, then this stream may or may not be able to be received on a different 'subnet', depending on whether or not your network implements IP multicast routing.  (As I noted in my last message, that has absolutely nothing to do with our software.)

> Can RTP multicast streams have any authentication ?

RTSP servers (including ours) support authentication.  However, if the RTSP server is serving a multicast stream, then there is nothing to stop someone else (again, on whatever networks are reached by IP multicast routing from the sender) from receiving the multicast stream, simply by listening to the same IP multicast address and port.  (In other words, if a RTSP server describes a multicast stream, then that same stream may also be received by other receivers that don't use RTSP.  That's not true for unicast streams.)