[Live-devel] emulation bytes in a slice NALU

Philipp Schrader Philipp.Schrader at nuvation.com
Mon Aug 19 09:38:34 PDT 2013

As you noted, our "analyze_slice_header()" function doesn't check
for/remove 'emulation prevention' bytes in VCL NAL units (the ones that
have slice headers).  That's probably OK, because we call
"analyze_slice_header()" only in certain cases, to check the parameters
of the 'current' and 'next' NAL units' slice headers to try to figure
out whether the 'current' NAL unit ends an 'access unit' (basically, a
'frame').  Our code probably ends up doing the right thing even for your
stream.  But this turns out to be a moot point, because the
"H264VideoStreamFramer" code will shortly be changed to make this 'end
of access unit' check more accurate (and more efficient).  As part of
this, the "analyze_slice_header()" function will probably be removed
entirely.

Fair enough. I'm looking forward to the upcoming releases.

Until then I will keep the hack that strips the emulation bytes to get
rid of the erroneous 'end of access units' it was producing and thus
delaying the video stream.

Thanks,

Philipp