[Live-devel] emulation bytes in a slice NALU

Philipp Schrader Philipp.Schrader at nuvation.com
Wed Aug 21 11:41:09 PDT 2013

Could you post (on a web site, unless it's small) an example of a ".264"
file that causes this problem for you?  I'd like to use it for testing.

Let me know if the following link works for you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s365ky5hqhko1x0/H264_Problem_sample_10sec.264

It's a 10 second snippet of a test video that we use. Since the problem
starts on the 511th IDR frame and I don't want to post that whole file,
this clip starts at IDR frame 509 and stops right before IDR frame 529.

In other words, the first second (i.e. IDR frames 509 and 510)
everything looks good. In IDR frame 511 slice 2 (zero-indexed) you'll
notice the byte sequence "25 00 1f e2 22 00 00 03 02 00 00 80 ab ff ed
5f". Here the "03" needs to be stripped.

This escape sequence will occur in all subsequent IDR frames on the
third slice (i.e. slice 2 if zero-indexed). If you image this data being
produced by a live source, then live555 (with the current code) will
slow the stream down every time it sees an IDR frame until the escape
sequence disappears from the encoded data.

Please let me know if I misunderstood something about live555's
operation here.

Hope this helps,

Philipp