[Live-devel] FYI: New option to "openRTSP" for writing new files periodically

Bob Bischan bbischan at watchtower-security.com
Tue Dec 17 07:32:22 PST 2013

Ross,

Very nice addition to the  "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software ! A quick
test reveals that it works just as anticipated.

I do have a few related comments / suggestions regarding this option, as
well, as openRTSP in general. Your thoughts and input would be much
appreciated.

*File naming convention and output options:*

Would it be possible to add options to openRTSP that provide a flexible
mechanism for specifying file-naming and storage location using a
combination of format specifiers / existing options?

Example Usage:

base_storage_path = /mnt/video
file_output_path =
<base-storage-path>/<stream-suffix>/YYYYMMDD/YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.mp4
 (.mov,.mkv,.ts....etc)

<stream-suffix> could maybe be a unique_id from a database table of streams
and be supplied when REGISTERING a client.

*Is the Periodic File output option intended to work with -R ?*

I am planning on testing this use case, but there are numerous openRTSP
options and combinations of options that will take some time to evaluate.
Thought it may save some time to simply ask :-)

*Is the  -F <fileName-prefix> option intended to work with all file output
types?  *

I have done a few quick tests and have not seen this work. Again, I will be
be re-verifying my results, but thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Bob