[Live-devel] Error with mp3 streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Dec 26 17:42:36 PST 2013

> I am completely new the music and video streaming, and I probably am doing something wrong.
>
> I tried the test program testMP3Streamer and testMP3Receiver to understand how the library works.
>
> When I started the streamer, with the test.mp3 input that worked on any media player, it seems to start streaming properly, but when I open the receiver, it connects on the stream, but plays odd sounds, something like if the stream was not decoded correctly.

Note that our software doesn't include any codec (i.e., encoding or decoding software).  So, in particular, the "testMP3Receiver" application outputs (to 'stdout') encoded MP3 frames, but does *not* decode them.

To actually 'play' the received video, you'll need to feed the data into a separate MP3 decoder.