[Live-devel] TCP Streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 11 10:18:54 PST 2013

>  I came across the question on the mailing list "Query Related to GroupSock Library",as i am newbie to this live 555 media .In "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.cpp" there is support to create in built rtsp server, when the proxy server request the "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.cpp" with "-t" option, will "testMPEG2TransportStreamer.cpp" stream TCP packets,i mean will wireshark show the tcp packets are being sent rather than the UDP

No, not in this case, because the "testMPEG3TransportStreamer" application streams via multicast, rather than unicast.  (Multicast streams cannot be carried over TCP.)  So in this respect my answer to the previous question was incorrect.  If you want to stream RTP-over-TCP, you will need to use a unicast RTSP server - such as "testOnDemandRTSPServer" or "live555MediaServer".

(However RTP-over-TCP streaming should be used only if your server is behind a firewall that blocks UDP packets.)