[Live-devel] H.264 via RTP - ugly artifacts

Chris Richardson (WTI) chris at gotowti.com
Mon Feb 11 12:16:57 PST 2013

Hi,

I also collect SPS, PPS and IDR NALS prior to sending them to FFMPEG and had
forgotten about that until you mentioned it.   So I send FFMPEG buffers with
either [7,8,5] or [1] each time.  The P frames are probably distorted
because they refer to IDR reference pictures that are not correct.  I would
guess that the P frames are referring to the first [5] in your [7, 8, 5, 5]
sequence, and the last [5] in that sequence is incorrect.  Also, there is no
purpose to having more than one IDR in a row, unless the whole sequence is
IDRs (for enabling seeking to every single frame perhaps).

What is the data source for these sequences?  It does seem odd to me that an
encoder would generate these by default.

Chris Richardson

WTI