[Live-devel] Packet reordering vs Jitter buffer design

Jesse Hemingway Jesse.Hemingway at nerdery.com
Fri Feb 15 09:30:27 PST 2013

Hi Ross,

I've seen threads in which you state that Live555 does not offer a jitter
buffer, and I've also seen posts (in which you weren't involved) that claim
it does.  I'm fairly certain that your logic is reordering packets so that
frames are delivered to a media sink in presentation order (which is
sometimes considered part of a jitter buffer's duty).  Can you verify what
you mean by saying Live555 does not offer a jitter buffer?  Is this in
effect saying that your logic may delay delivery for the maximum time
necessary to deliver ordered and complete frames, but makes no attempt to
deliver these frames at a steady rate?

Thanks,
Jesse