[Live-devel] Interpreting Presentation Time

Jesse Hemingway Jesse.Hemingway at nerdery.com
Mon Feb 18 20:20:29 PST 2013

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't fully understand how
Live555's Presentation Times are to be applied, *aside* from synchronizing
parallel media streams.  Is there any way to use these presentation times
to determine the receiver's time offset from the server?  In my case, I'm
trying to achieve stable, consistent and most-importantly, low-latency
streaming.  I've pulled this off fairly well under controlled conditions,
but I'm still a bit mystified about how (or whether) it's possible to
relate presentation times as computed for afterGettingFrame() to absolute
time, as the server understands it.  This would help calculate round-trip
latency or ask the server to skip ahead when the client falls behind due to
network or other delays.  I know that SR's and RR's have something to do
with it and Live555 'takes care of it' for me, but I'd like to understand
more and can't seem to find the resources that would explain it clearly.
 Can anyone point me to a resource (other than the IETF docs which I've
already read and somewhat understand)?

Right now my method involves recording the presentation time at the first
moment that synchronization occurs, and use that as my 'absolute'
server-client time offset - but this is obviously a flawed approach.

Thanks,
Jesse