[Live-devel] Live Trick Play with Growing TS File

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 21 15:31:09 PST 2013

> We are working on a project that involves live h264/TS video streaming over RTSP.  The live555 release code base supports trick play for TS files only if a hint file is generated.  Has anyone tried to generate the hint file on a growing TS file while streaming the TS file?  Looking at the code base, this might be achievable with some modification to four or five source files.

Yes, I think it would be possible to do this.  (The most difficult part of this would be to modify the application that generates the index file (not 'hint file') for each transport stream so that it doesn't halt when it reaches the end of the input stream, but instead (somehow) continues, after waiting for more data to be arrive.)

This couldn't work, however, if you had a file 'buffer' that didn't grow indefinitely, but instead 'chopped off' old data from the start of the file (so that the file maintained a bounded size, rather than growing indefinitely).  If that's what you want to do, then the index file mechanism probably could not be modified to accommodate this.  Instead, you would probably need a different implementation of 'trick play'.

>   Does anyone consult on small projects like that?

Yes, I ("Live Networks, Inc.") am available for hire to develop custom upgrades to the source code.  If you're interested, please let me know (by private email).