[Live-devel] RTSP/1.0 404 File Not Found, Or In Incorrect Format

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jan 3 02:14:10 PST 2013

> I have read many thread on the dreaded message "RTSP/1.0 404 File Not
> Found, Or In Incorrect Format" when trying to stream from
> Live555MediaServer, yet I was not able to find any solution.

There's nothing 'dreaded' about that error message; it means exactly what it says.  The server is either (1) unable to find the specified file, or (2) it did find the file, but discovered that it's in a format that it can't handle.  Because "fopen()" apparently succeeds on the file name, we know that (2) must be true.

Therefore, we need to find out why the server doesn't like the file "welcome.wav".  See
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#my-file-doesnt-work

Also, because you've read the FAQ (as everyone is asked to do before they post to this mailing list), you know that we support only the latest version of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software.  You are using an old version (2012.02.04).  You should upgrade to the latest version ASAP.