[Live-devel] RTSPServer crash

Chris Richardson (WTI) chris at gotowti.com
Thu Jan 3 16:30:49 PST 2013

Hi Ross,

I have a seen a crash in RTSPServer that I can reproduce using QuickTime,
and I have attached a patch that fixes it.  This has been tested using
version 2013-01-03 of the LIVE555 libraries with zero modifications.  Here
are steps to reproduce:

1.       Set QuickTime to use HTTP as the transport.

2.       Launch testOnDemandRTSPServer.exe

3.       Use QuickTime to connect to one of the streams served by the
testOnDemandRTSPServer.

4.       Pause the stream in QuickTime.

5.       Kill and restart the testOnDemandRTSPServer.

6.       Play the stream again in QuickTime.

It seems that after following this sequence, QuickTime will send a POST as
the first command to the RTSP server.  If this happens, the server crashes
due to fOurServer.fClientConnectionsForHTTPTunneling being NULL in
handleHTTPCmd_TunnelingPOST.  The attached patch simply creates the
fOurServer.fClientConnectionsForHTTPTunneling the same way
handleHTTPCmd_TunnelingGET does.  With the patch applied, the server returns
a 405 error to QuickTime and the whole conversation can be retried.

If this is not the correct way to fix this issue please let me know, as this
is easy for me to reproduce and I can test a different fix if necessary.

Thanks,

Chris Richardson

WTI